- In America, there is one divorce approximately every 36 seconds. — McKinley Irvin, US Census Bureau
- Half of all American children will witness the breakup of a parent’s marriage. Of these, close to half will also see the breakup of a parent’s second marriage. — Furstenberg, Peterson, Nord, and Zill, “Life Course”
- 60% of children of divorce walk away from their faith. — The Journal of the Scientific Study of Religion
- “Divorce statistics represent all marriages and have absolutely nothing to do with any individual marriages. Our own chances depend on our own situations especially the way we approach marriage.” — James M Henslin, Essentials of Sociology
- Families are not statistics. Families are stories.
- Don’t just be shocked into silence by divorce statistics, be impassioned into action.
- The two top priorities of Millennials:
- 1. To be a great parent
- 2. To have a great marriage
- Pew Research
- Two combined forces are more powerful together than either could be alone.
- When a church designs a simple, strategic path that strengthens marriage and family, everyone wins.
- The power of strategy sometimes lies in the things you choose not to do.
- Larger Group Experiences
- 74% of those who participate in special events feel more connected with their faith community.
- 70% believe special events allow them to meet others of their faith.
- 69% agree that special event attendance actually strengthens their faith.
- 56% affirm that these events help them overcome life’s difficulties.
- 49% agree special events make evangelizing easier.
- Marriage & Family Tools
- Parent Cue
- What we learned from Lighthouse Church
- Get the leaders of marriage and parenting in the room together to lay an annual plan.
- Spotlight your combined strategy with a combined event or month.
- Marriage impacts all of us. We are all raising future husbands and wives.
- Our posture is always hope—we are not focused on regret. We are focused on redemption.
- Next steps to partner together
- Combined team meeting
- Determine first steps with large groups, small groups, marriage, and family tools
- Create annual calendar
Married People exists to help your church help marriages. We provide resources, training, and community to church leaders who work with marriages and families.
Subscribe For Email Updates
Did you like this blog post? Want to get our latest monthly blogs delivered directly to your email inbox?
Sign up and we will add you to our email list! And we won't send you and spam—we promise.