by Ted Lowe
MarriedPeople is different. We get that a lot. We are different in many ways. For one, we are proactive versus reactive. We think the best thing a church can do for couples is to help them avoid getting into crisis in the first place, and we think the church is the perfect place to make that happen.
MarriedPeople is also different when it comes to content. Often churches have a retreat or study, which offers A LOT of content in a relatively short amount of time. For the typical, busy, already overwhelmed couple, if can feel like drinking from a fire hydrant. When it comes to the content of MarriedPeople strategy and resources, we have a goal:
Give couples less content more often.
We help churches accomplish this through an annual program. Each year you get a branded Strategy Pack with new resources that includes the following:
- 4 Larger Group Experiences (which can be used for One Night Events or Worship Services)
- A 5-Session Small Group Study (which can fit into your existing Sunday school or small group model)
- 4 Date Nights (for Individual Couples to do on their own)
- 12 monthly newsletters called MarriedPeople Monthly (a monthly email you send to couples through an email management system like MailChimp or Constant Contact)
At first glance, this seems like a lot. But you dont have to do everything the first year, and even if you do, it is only 25 touchpoints in a 365 day period (or 366 if its a leap year).
Marriage is a process. Shouldnt your church’s marriage strategy be the same?
Heres example of a 2017 Calendar. But remember the MP strategy is customizable, allowing you to do what’s best for the rhythm of your people AND your church.
In an annual calendar . . .
- Larger Group Experiences are scheduled quarterly (February, May, August and October). You’ve got Valentine’s Day covered, as well as three additional events. Each of these could be a One-Night event or part of your weekly Worship Service.
- Use the multi-week Small Group study in a several week block with your existing small groups or Sunday school classes
- Date Nights happen four times a year and are effective when promoted as a church-wide event.
- Each month’s issue of MarriedPeople Monthly is available the first of the month. You can load it into your own email management system, like Constant Contact or MailChimp.
Bottom line—most spouses don’t harbor ill-will towards their spouse, they just feel disconnected from their spouse. Left unchecked, this disconnection can ultimately lead to the devastation that occurs when couples hit crisis.
So go ahead, give couples 15-25 touchpoints this year, 15-25 reminders to connect with one another. And in the process, you will help them avoid crisis and enjoy connection.
If you need help customizing the Strategy Pack content for your church calendar, contact us at email@example.com.
Subscribe For Email Updates
Did you like this blog post? Want to get our latest monthly blogs delivered directly to your email inbox?
Sign up and we will add you to our email list! And we won't send you and spam—we promise.